Welcome to Muay Thai Roundtable
Welcome to the Muay Thai Roundtable, the only Muay Thai forum of its kind, with a verified Women Only section. If you are new do create an account by registering as a member, creating a username and password (the Facebook login no longer works). After registration you'll get a validation email with a link. Please verify your email through this link. We hand clear every user for the General Section so it may take 24 to 48 hours so thanks for your patience. If you are a female user, after you have become a validated member please send Sylvie an email at sylvie AT 8limbs.us so she can verify your gender for the Women Only section.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Relaxing in training/sparring

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

TZ22

TZ22

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Locationcanada
I have been training for almost 6 years, but after doing a few private sessions with different trainers from another gyms (boxing and muay thai), both of them pointed out that I am too tense, even when I am skipping, and that I need to be more relaxed and that got me thinking about what is that tension and relaxing that they are talking about because I don't feel it, I feel like I am relaxed, but obviously they see something that I don't and perhaps that inability to be as relaxed is an obstacle to my ability to progress. So I am curious if you have received similar advice and what did it mean for you? Perhaps the relaxing that they were talking about means not thinking so much about what I am doing and just let the actions come out instinctively?

Fighting Frog

Fighting Frog

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationUK

They probably mean that there is muscle tension in your shoulders and hips. Best way of seeing what they mean is to film yourself in training/sparring and watch it with them so they can point it out; or watch someone else with the same problem when they are training. It is surprisingly easy to see what other people are 'doing wrong' and it's a light bulb moment as a result to actually see and realise what your error is. I've experienced this when horse riding - when I used to assist my instructor when she was teaching other people I could see exactly what she meant by comments like 'Your elbows are tight, that's causing the horse to do whatever' because I could see the other rider's tension and the effect it had on the horse. Before I would think 'My elbows feel fine' and not really understand.

Muscle tension means your movements won't flow as easily and won't have as much control or power as they could. I notice a huge difference, especially when I'm kicking - if my shoulders, stomach etc stay nice and relaxed then the kick is way faster and more powerful (and more accurate) than if they are at all tense.

• dtrick924 and TZ22 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users