Welcome to Muay Thai Roundtable
Welcome to the Muay Thai Roundtable, the only Muay Thai forum of its kind, with a verified Women Only section. If you are new do create an account by registering as a member, creating a username and password (the Facebook login no longer works). After registration you'll get a validation email with a link. Please verify your email through this link. We hand clear every user for the General Section so it may take 24 to 48 hours so thanks for your patience. If you are a female user, after you have become a validated member please send Sylvie an email at sylvie AT 8limbs.us so she can verify your gender for the Women Only section.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How can I tell if I am improving?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

lucyv

lucyv

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

I should probably ask my coach, but I thought it might look a bit needy. Ha. I do light sparring with the young uns' but I'm both old and female so it's hard to know if, when I get a clean strike (or many) on someone, it's because they were giving me a break. If I know someone's only been training for a short time, I dance about a bit and let them put together the combos they've been drilling.

Conversely I can't tell if people are giving me opportunities or if I actually executed something smart. I've been training years on and off but I don't really know where I'm at anymore.

I should ask my coach, but anyway.. anyone out there feel similar?

ps. I would put this in female only but the mods didn't approve me. Pls mods? Can I be on the women's forum?

Sylvie

Sylvie

Staff

• 844 posts
  • LocationPattaya, Thailand

Hey Lucy, 

for the women's only section please send me a link to your FB profile for gender verification, we'll try to get you cleared ASAP.

As for your question, this kind of never goes away. When you first start, progress is really obvious because you're going from nothing to something. But as you develop, the ways in which you get better or smoother, smarter, etc. are much harder to see. It's like the big pegs on a violin that get you to the right note, vs the tiny pegs by the bridge that make very small adjustments to the tone. I'm very rarely thinking to myself, "wow, I'm getting so much better!" Like, ever. So, I stopped asking that question and started rephrasing it to be more specific - is my timing on blocks the way I want it to be? Is my kick landing on a person the way it lands on the pads? 

I should probably ask my coach, but I thought it might look a bit needy. Ha. I do light sparring with the young uns' but I'm both old and female so it's hard to know if, when I get a clean strike (or many) on someone, it's because they were giving me a break. If I know someone's only been training for a short time, I dance about a bit and let them put together the combos they've been drilling.

Conversely I can't tell if people are giving me opportunities or if I actually executed something smart. I've been training years on and off but I don't really know where I'm at anymore.

I should ask my coach, but anyway.. anyone out there feel similar?

ps. I would put this in female only but the mods didn't approve me. Pls mods? Can I be on the women's forum?

• dtrick924 and Marvin Tampus like this

ways to connect with me:

8limbs.us blog   Twitter @_ittu   Instagram sylviemuay   Google Plus  YouTube lots of videos   LinkedIn  and on Facebook 

Fighting Frog

Fighting Frog

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationUK

If by 'young uns' you mean adolescents, I shouldn't think they are giving you a break at all! 

And if you mean simply folks younger than you, then I wouldn't think they would either, because they will have the maturity to know that's not what you want...

• dtrick924 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users