Welcome to Muay Thai Roundtable
Welcome to the Muay Thai Roundtable, the only Muay Thai forum of its kind, with a verified Women Only section. If you are new do create an account by registering as a member, creating a username and password (the Facebook login no longer works). After registration you'll get a validation email with a link. Please verify your email through this link. We hand clear every user for the General Section so it may take 24 to 48 hours so thanks for your patience. If you are a female user, after you have become a validated member please send Sylvie an email at sylvie AT 8limbs.us so she can verify your gender for the Women Only section.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

boxing + MT = what's your single biggest challenge?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Marvin Tampus

Marvin Tampus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Hi Guys,

I'm eager to know,

what’s your single biggest challenge when it comes to integrating boxing into your MT game?

Fighting Frog

Fighting Frog

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationUK

Dunno...in some ways I think the biggest challenge is the other way - when boxing to remember that you can't kick your opponent... :teehee:

• dtrick924, Kaitlinrose and Marvin Tampus like this

Marvin Tampus

Marvin Tampus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Dunno...in some ways I think the biggest challenge is the other way - when boxing to remember that you can't kick your opponent... :teehee:

haha. I totally agree with that.

What was your background before diving into MT?

Fighting Frog

Fighting Frog

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationUK

Martin: About 15 years ago I did taekwondo for less than a year... that's it for martial arts until I accidently started MT a few years ago. During our sessions my trainer sometimes puts in purely boxing rounds to help me concentrate on specific aspects. I've been trying to join a boxing club but there's quite a lot of difficulties involved (erratic shift work, travel time, not much money, other life things).

• Marvin Tampus likes this

Matty

Matty

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCanada
If you mean like using boxing in Muay Thai, definitely head movement.

Marvin Tampus

Marvin Tampus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Martin: About 15 years ago I did taekwondo for less than a year... that's it for martial arts until I accidently started MT a few years ago. During our sessions my trainer sometimes puts in purely boxing rounds to help me concentrate on specific aspects. I've been trying to join a boxing club but there's quite a lot of difficulties involved (erratic shift work, travel time, not much money, other life things).

oh taekwondo. didn't you get any challenge as you transitioned from a "leg-heavy" martial art into MT (though MT is using legs too but as we know taekwondo kicks are different from MT)?

Marvin Tampus

Marvin Tampus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

If you mean like using boxing in Muay Thai, definitely head movement.

How did you get around with this? :)

Fighting Frog

Fighting Frog

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationUK

Marvin: I only did TKD for a few months, and it was a long time ago. A friend's club entered me into a tournament with them a couple of years ago; I had a couple of crash sessions on how-to-spar-TKD (and, indeed, remembering how to kick as of course it's a different style) - the biggest problem then was overcoming the urge to punch my opponent when the chance arose!

So, to answer your question: no, I didn't find it a challenge! I did find it hard trying TKD and kickboxing (last year) after MT as I wanted to kick with my shin and found it hard to use my feet instead. It's academic now as since I've had several bad foot injuries I'm sticking to MT.

Marvin Tampus

Marvin Tampus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

During our sessions my trainer sometimes puts in purely boxing rounds to help me concentrate on specific aspects.

That's great.

Was there anything that you struggled with especially when integrating boxing aspects into MT sparring?

Fighting Frog

Fighting Frog

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationUK

Anything I especially struggled with? No, not really. It all seems a natural part of MT sparring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users