Welcome to Muay Thai Roundtable
Welcome to the Muay Thai Roundtable, the only Muay Thai forum of its kind, with a verified Women Only section. If you are new do create an account by registering as a member, creating a username and password (the Facebook login no longer works). After registration you'll get a validation email with a link. Please verify your email through this link. We hand clear every user for the General Section so it may take 24 to 48 hours so thanks for your patience. If you are a female user, after you have become a validated member please send Sylvie an email at sylvie AT 8limbs.us so she can verify your gender for the Women Only section.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Question for punches

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

muaythai

muaythai

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLondon

Hello sylvie and everyone,i got another question:P

Lets say someone is coming at me with punches(in sparring for example) how should i react?

-just raise my guard up and wait till hes done punching and attack back?

-move my head back and kinda keep distance with long guard?

-keep moving around the ring so when he punches me ill avoid him?

-directly punch back?(but doesn't that leave me expose?)

I usually do a combination of all these but i haven't really got it how to react exactly..

Thanks

Fighting Frog

Fighting Frog

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUK

It depends on the overall situation... putting up a tight strong guard and waiting for an opportunity to hit back is good; so is stepping out and away (quarter out and you can immediately kick them); so is backing up (to give yourself room to react); maybe a nice pushkick (or even a knee if there's a gap); or you can attack back. In my admittedly  limited experience I don't think there is an 'exact' way to react in this situation. I've used all of these reactions when my opponent is pummeling me vigorously. And same if it's me in the attack, and he has gone into a nice tight guard - how I continue depends on that particular moment in that particular session.

Just keep on sparring, and practicing, and watching fights and training sessions (whether professional stuff or other people at your club or whatever), and gradually you'll feel more confident and your body will start to do the reacting for you (maybe you're over-thinking it a bit!) It's also very helpful to film your sparring sessions and to watch them, and see how it's all playing out.

Main thing is to relax, smile, and have fun.

• 515 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users