Welcome to Muay Thai Roundtable
Welcome to the Muay Thai Roundtable, the only Muay Thai forum of its kind, with a verified Women Only section. If you are new do create an account by registering as a member, creating a username and password (the Facebook login no longer works). After registration you'll get a validation email with a link. Please verify your email through this link. We hand clear every user for the General Section so it may take 24 to 48 hours so thanks for your patience. If you are a female user, after you have become a validated member please send Sylvie an email at sylvie AT 8limbs.us so she can verify your gender for the Women Only section.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Backing up in Sparring

- - - - - training drilling fighting sparring wmma practice coaching video instruction muay thai

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Lindsay

Lindsay

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKansas City

I have a problem - as I'm sure a lot of less experienced fighters do - of backing straight up in sparring (did it in my fight too). Last night was my first hard sparring after my fight a couple of weeks ago and I kept backing straight up sooo bad. Very annoyed with myself as I know this is a problem. 

Does anyone have links to drills you can do to practice not backing up? I know it sounds super simple to fix, but I feel like I need to practice this outside of regular sparring. It'd be helpful to see some drills or perhaps just watch what/how other people do if they get backed up, but instead of continuing to go straight back they redirect. 

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you! :) 

• threeoaks likes this

Instagram --> LBeatMMA

KC Women's Fighter Alliance

Trains out of American Top Team HD and KCBJJ

Precision Nutrition Level 1 & Level 2

NewThai

NewThai

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationUSA
Sometimes our coach will assign a square (either by squares of the mat or with a jumprope square) and we have to spar inside our tiny square - essentially forcing us to stay in the pocket the entire round.
  • Lindsay and radarjam like this

bbf3

bbf3

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationAustralia

It may help to build confidence in your defensive techniques. Doing check drills (e.g Sylvie's 10 Minute Blockout video), practising a strong long guard/dracula guard/turtle guard, building core strength and awareness of your centre of gravity (so you don't get pushed around as easily), and practising stepping to the side of your opponent when they come forward at you. Some of these things will come more naturally to you than others, so you could just work on reinforcing those first. 

Make a mental note before each sparring round to not go backwards. Block - counter right away - push forward/strike first

• threeoaks, NewThai, Lindsay and 1 other like this

mnmcdonald

mnmcdonald

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNC

My coach will have us do drills strictly within each other's space/pocket. No clinch, but just punches and defense, and it's okay to back up every now and again, but the goal is to get into the other person's space and stay there.

• threeoaks and Lindsay like this

Alla

Alla

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBelgium
Backing up can be useful if you have longer reach, but less power than you opponent. I am not sure if this applies to Muay Thai as much, but going backwards while throwing only straight punches is a viable tactic in boxing for somebody with a longer reach. Something I recently read and would like to try is going backwards making a figure 8 in the ring. This should prevent getting cornered.
  • threeoaks and 515 like this

Fighting Frog

Fighting Frog

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationUK

Practice stepping out sideways from your opponent...do it all the time if your natural tendency is to go straight back. Do drills whereby you step sideways and attack from the side every single time until you are doing it in your sleep! We also do lots of drills with stepping around a diamond or a square (which is also good practice for improving one's footwork generally). You can do it with a heavy bag too - get it swinging towards you, then step sideways and kick/punch it.

At least, I think that ought to help. My trainer does it with me all the time - get out of the attacker's way, attack them.

Think street fight.

Good luck.

• dtrick924 and 515 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: training, drilling, fighting, sparring, wmma, practice, coaching, video, instruction, muay thai

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users