Welcome to Muay Thai Roundtable
Welcome to the Muay Thai Roundtable, the only Muay Thai forum of its kind, with a verified Women Only section. If you are new do create an account by registering as a member, creating a username and password (the Facebook login no longer works). After registration you'll get a validation email with a link. Please verify your email through this link. We hand clear every user for the General Section so it may take 24 to 48 hours so thanks for your patience. If you are a female user, after you have become a validated member please send Sylvie an email at sylvie AT 8limbs.us so she can verify your gender for the Women Only section.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Looking for corner for USMTO Nov 3-5

- - - - - first fight usmto 2017 corner new york city

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

muaythaimagikarp

muaythaimagikarp

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationChicago

Hi Everyone,

My name is Andy. I'm a 29 year old nakmuay who has been training for about 5 months. This is my first post! Thank you to everyone especially Sylvie, Kevin, and Emma for the wonderful content and community you support.

I've decided to register for my first fight at the USMTO in New York this November 3-5. I'll be fighting in the 18+ Novice (0-3 fights) 119lb male division. I'm from Chicago, and the trainer at my gym isn't going to be able to make it.

I'm trying to see if anyone else is going to this event and/or might be willing to corner for me?

Alternatively if I don't end up finding a corner, does anyone have tips for fighting without a corner?

Thank you so much for your responses!

(@Moderators I cross posted this on the "Technique, Training, and Fighting Questions" forum to get the most possible exposure for my question. Let me know if that's not ok and I'm happy to take one of them down. )

NewThai

NewThai

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationUSA
James Guccione is part of the Cut Men and they usually go to the tournaments to wrap hands and corner for those guys running solo. Search him on FB and see if he or his partner will be available.

My team will be there, but we have a large number of fighters so I don't want to speak for my coach (we've struggled at past tourneys with the coach:fighter ratio).
  • muaythaimagikarp likes this

TZ22

TZ22

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Locationcanada
I am in the same situation, my coach is not able to go since I am from a small gym and he is the only one running the gym and I am the only fighter from the gym going to this tournament. I messaged USMTO to see what they can recommend and whether they have some kind of a back up plan for that; I was also supposed to do the WKA tournament this past weekend without my coach and the organisers said that they could provide a corner for me and that it was not necessary for me to bring someone with me, but I ended up not doing the tournament after it turned out there was no-one in my weight class and I did not feel comfortable going up to a higher weight class. Anyways, I have not received their response yet, but I can let you know when I do.
  • NewThai and muaythaimagikarp like this

muaythaimagikarp

muaythaimagikarp

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationChicago

Thanks a lot for the responses! I will look up James and see if that works. And @TZ22 let me know if you come up with anything.

Let me add to this thread, if you're going to USMTO in New York, feel free put your name and weight class down if you feel comfortable. I'm sure there will be a lot of downtime, so I'd love come to cheer you on for your fight.

NewThai

NewThai

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationUSA
Found it:

[email protected]
@theuppercutmen on IG
  • TZ22 and muaythaimagikarp like this

radarjam

radarjam

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Hope you find one and good luck!

PS. I love your username. Use Jump & Splash on your opponent  :wink:

• muaythaimagikarp likes this

Instagram: @nakmuayfoodie

Kaitlinrose

Kaitlinrose

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

We were going to go, but the fighters on our team ended up doing a show on October 13th and did not want to register before completing those bouts. If we end up coming out, we'd be more than happy to help.

The Muay Thai community is pretty awesome.  I'm sure someone will help you out. P.S. It's really great that you are going regardless. Have fun!

• NewThai and muaythaimagikarp like this

muaythaimagikarp

muaythaimagikarp

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationChicago

@radarjam Haha yes well, I will try it for sure but my guess is that it won't be very effective. Hopefully one day I will become muaythaigyarados but it doesn't have quite the same ring.

@Kaitlinrose Thanks for the response, and let me know if your team can make it either way! I'd love to come cheer you all on during down time.

• radarjam likes this

NewThai

NewThai

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationUSA
How's everyone doing? Still planning to be there?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: first fight, usmto 2017, corner, new york city

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users