Welcome to Muay Thai Roundtable
Welcome to the Muay Thai Roundtable, the only Muay Thai forum of its kind, with a verified Women Only section. If you are new do create an account by registering as a member, creating a username and password (the Facebook login no longer works). After registration you'll get a validation email with a link. Please verify your email through this link. We hand clear every user for the General Section so it may take 24 to 48 hours so thanks for your patience. If you are a female user, after you have become a validated member please send Sylvie an email at sylvie AT 8limbs.us so she can verify your gender for the Women Only section.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Live in thailand like muay thai fighter in one gym?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Daniele

Daniele

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationItaly
Hi is live in thailand like MT fighter in the gym? How con i do this ? Will i have to speak with the boss of the gym and usually what are the conditions?

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationPattaya, Thailand

Hi is live in thailand like MT fighter in the gym? How con i do this ? Will i have to speak with the boss of the gym and usually what are the conditions?

If you mean for "free" (which isn't really free), like Thai boys, this is not possible except in unique situations in places like Phuket, if you are already an established, sponsored fighter. If you mean only "in" the gym, many gyms offer housing in the gym. Sitmonchai, Sangtiennoi, etc. But you have to pay for room and board, as well as training.

All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare. - Spinoza

Daniele

Daniele

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationItaly
I mean for "free" like thai boy, how does it work? Do the thai boys pay?
Thx

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Thx

This is not possible really. There is zero financial incentive for a Thai-style gym to support a westerner like this. Thai gyms raise up (in many cases like adoption) boys who have left their family, or in some cases take the contracts of Thai boys from the provinces, and train them with the hope that they will become champions, adding prestige to a gym, and a percentage of their winnings at major stadia. These are long term relationships (to generalize), an economy of investment that only in very, very rare cases to westerners get near. This is not something that you "sign up for". Western fighters almost never have this value.

As I said though, sponsorship by gyms in commercial areas, usually in Phuket, but sometimes elsewhere, for established western fighters, sometimes happens, if they feel that that fighter will add to their business (get them more customers in some way).

Sylvie

Sylvie

Staff

• 831 posts

Very few gyms offer full sponsorship to western fighters, but you might look into Sor. Sumalee in Phuket. You must already be an active fighter, I don't believe sponsorship is offered to beginners.

Thx

ways to connect with me:

8limbs.us blog   Twitter @_ittu   Instagram sylviemuay   Google Plus  YouTube lots of videos   LinkedIn  and on Facebook 

Daniele

Daniele

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationItaly
Okay i understand, and with the thai boys how do the camp pay them ?

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Okay i understand, and with the thai boys how do the camp pay them ?

They get a percentage of fight pay. The percentage varies greatly.

bakpao

bakpao

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationEngland

if your young, in good shape, and speak thai, you could find a gym to train for free. but you would have to be willing to fight very regularly. 

I know of some gyms that would do this.  

Daniele

Daniele

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationItaly
Thanks, what are the names of these gyms that sponsor the farang fighters in BKK ? Or everywhere?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users