Khongsittha Muay Thai camp , Muay Thai guy, Sean Fagan

Lucy

Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone has been on Sean Fagan's, the Muay Thai guy's fighters camp in Thailand?

I'm looking into going next year, Jan / Feb camp, and was hoping someone could tell me a bit more about it

How much you learnt, would you recommend it, how fit or experienced you need to be, how much 'spending' money you took etc

Anything really, I'll be a solo female traveller from the UK, bit scared of the journey to be honest, flying doesn't bother me, but for some reason flying alone does!

Or if anyone is thinking of going to the camp, please let me know

Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone has been on Sean Fagan's, the Muay Thai guy's fighters camp in Thailand?

I'm looking into going next year, Jan / Feb camp, and was hoping someone could tell me a bit more about it

How much you learnt, would you recommend it, how fit or experienced you need to be, how much 'spending' money you took etc

Anything really, I'll be a solo female traveller from the UK, bit scared of the journey to be honest, flying doesn't bother me, but for some reason flying alone does!

Sylvie is attending for two days starting tomorrow, she should have lots to say when she gets back.

Hi everyone

Hey, I was just there for two days so I've asked Radarjam to jump in and fill you in with more of the day-to-day experience and from someone who came to Thailand for the first time to attend the August camp. She'll jump on, hopefully. NakMuaybyNature is also there and seems very observant.

The camp is huge and active, but not "bustling". It's pretty relaxed atmosphere and it's close enough for "day trips" to activities but far enough away that it feels secure and nice. The training is very structured and is very friendly to beginners, so I wouldn't worry at all about that end of it. They can accommodate all levels, it seems. There's really good food in the immediate vacinity, which honestly I don't think the current campers are even aware enough of to be grateful for, haha. Having inexpensive restaurants at a 2 minute walk from your room is a GODSEND when you're tired after training. I have to go shopping on my motorbike and cook... it's so exhausting.

I can't speak to the kind of budget you'll need to plan for, either of the two members currently there will have the details on that, but I will warn you that a Canadian I met at the current camp had burned through his money faster than he'd anticipated because he frequented "the cafe" to eat, which is more expensive than the Thai food restaurants and stalls nearby. There is a huge difference in cost between standard Thai fare and more "western friendly" comfort foods. He kept using the word "clean" to describe why he went to the cafe, but I'm not sure what exactly he meant by that. Canteens and street food is indeed a bit oily but it's not dangerous - people have a fear of street food but in all my years here I've only had food poisoning once and it was from a restaurant, not a canteen or street food. Maybe he meant it like how weightlifters talk about "clean eating" in terms of more vegetables and less fat? I don't know. But be truthful with yourself about how committed you are to eating 60 Baht dishes versus the 150+ Baht dishes of more western-friendly restaurants.

• Like 2

Hi everyone

• Like 2

Hi Lucy,

I've spent two weeks training at Khongsittha.

It is a fairly new gym that started in 2013, so the facility is modern, spacious and very well kept.

They also have staffs that are fluent in English, such as Keith (above).

Don't worry if you have little experience or as much as five years such as myself, the trainers are very friendly and provide equal amount of attention to everyone.

The skill level varied between campers from beginners to experienced fighters, so no need to be intimidated!

"Rajardam cover a lot of great detail already, but I'll add on.

Training:

*Keep in mind that training is Tuesday-Sunday.

Monday is the rest day as opposed to back home where it usually occurs on Sundays.

Running: If you do choose to run with the group the distance varies between 3-5k or 8k+. However, when I was there we were running 8k's in the morning almost everyday as the Thai guys were fighting. There is a white board that have two-days of scheduling on it. If running starts at 6:30am expected it to be a 8k.

Morning session: 8-10am

An example of a session may consist of shadow boxing, pad & bag work , heavy bag drills/burnouts, ab/body weight exercises, stretch & cool down.

Afternoon session: 3-5pm

similar to morning sessions but starts with skipping rope or tire hop (15mins) in addition to sparring/clinching/technique emphasis

Intensity of the sessions varies usually Sunday morning and the middle day of the week is light.

Exception/Saturday Mornings: 9-11am =  Sprint + agility drills & strength/conditioning, follow up with a ice bath  :woot:

*The jump ropes are heavy. I'll advise using the colored PVC cable one as opposed to the one with a wooden handle.

In terms of pad holding you'll get to work with a variety of trainer, whom are all top-notch with decades of experience. How much you learn is what you take out of it and finding out what works for you. The benefit though is that you get to experience different style of pads. In the beginning it may be a awkward slow feeling out phase, but you'll adapt your style to their pad holding. Two of the trainers that stood out for me was Ruey and Rong. Ask to work with them!

Constructive criticism: I did wish we got to spar/clinch with the Thais. However, there aren't that many active fighters here compared to a traditional Muay Thai camp that raises kids to be fighters.

Accommodation/Misc:

Kiatthada resort is right next to the gym between a small parking lot.

Cleaning service is available but not provided. I believe it cost 250baht?

Laundry machines are 40-50baht and they fit a lot of clothes! I did laundry twice, but I think I brought too much clothes.

There is a 10,000 baht deposit which I was not aware of until I arrived in Thailand. Luckily I brought enough cash.

You get majority of it back at the end of the trip. Around $8-9k.

I used about $400-500 USD in my two week stay.

Food:

There a few restaurants nearby. The famous noodle spot, "Ko Bu Rot Sing" and clay pot/porridge "Chok Poet Mo" (both right outside the gym) is to die for. I also discovered a famous Pad Thai nearby at the end of my trip. Its called "Phat Thai Sawoei restaurant"

Prices is very inexpensive, I'll 2-4 dollars per dish/meal.

You can get street food early in the morning at the market just a couple blocks away. I look getting fresh fruits there (guava, pineapple, green mango)

There is also a bigger night market (highly recommended) if you ask around.

If you want cleaner dining options (meaning healthier/organic), previously Cafe Reverie (owned by the same management as the gym) is the spot!

It caters to a western appetite, but the cost per dish is higher and comparable to back home. $6-$7.

There are also malls such as Central Festival Eastville and Crystal Park, which are both about 10mins taxi ride away.

*Drink lots of water. Buy a pack of 6 at Mini Big C.

Instead of electrolyte packages + water. I like to drink "Sponsor" or "M-sport" which already has electrolytes in them.

Okay I'm getting tired and sleepy now, so I had to rush a lot of the last bits.  :sleep:

But I highly recommend you go on the trip. Training alone while scary at times can be pretty fucking awesome. Best of luck

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your replies and encouragement, I'm all booked to go!!!

I'll be there for the first two weeks of February, nervous but excited as I know I'll love every minute and I'll learn so much X

• Like 1