Welcome to Muay Thai Roundtable
Welcome to the Muay Thai Roundtable, the only Muay Thai forum of its kind, with a verified Women Only section. If you are new do create an account by registering as a member, creating a username and password (the Facebook login no longer works). After registration you'll get a validation email with a link. Please verify your email through this link. We hand clear every user for the General Section so it may take 24 to 48 hours so thanks for your patience. If you are a female user, after you have become a validated member please send Sylvie an email at sylvie AT 8limbs.us so she can verify your gender for the Women Only section.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How to deal with the heat in Thailand and other first-timer questions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Huskyal02

Huskyal02

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationHaverhill, MA, USA

I just got back from BKK after 2 wks of training. I've found my body swells up and my hands and feet were big. I drank a lot of water but that alone didn't help. Electrolytes helped a bit but here come the heat rashes. Cooling powder is a must IMO!!! 

Micc

Micc

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationPoland

Can you tell more about the heat rash? Do you mean like an allergy?

I just got back from BKK after 2 wks of training. I've found my body swells up and my hands and feet were big. I drank a lot of water but that alone didn't help. Electrolytes helped a bit but here come the heat rashes. Cooling powder is a must IMO!!! 

I remembered now that I got a huge rash on my hands and arms - almost up to my shoulders - during my whole 2 weeks of training in Thailand. I have allergy and usually get allergic reactions to food or pollens. My reaction to food is specific and I can basically tell if I'm allergic to the food after taking a small bite, but it was not that. And my rash was getting worse day by day. I was drinking a lot of water, taking electrolytes, vitamins, ibuprofen, anti-histamin medication, calcium...still the rash was not going away. Honestly, I didn't bring my hardcore medications and creams that I usually use when I get an allergic reaction back home, so it was really hard to deal with. I tried spraying it with a silver-spray - a guy had it and used it as an anti-septic. It was giving a bit of cooling feeling for a while, but didn't make the rash smaller - so it was not an infection of sorts.

I suspect it was an allergic reaction to a mix of different things: different water, different pollens, sweating everyday, showering 3-4x a day and contact with other people's sweaty skin.

When I came back I asked my doctor if it's possible that I'm allergic to my sweat and she just laughed...so it probably means no. 

Yet, my reaction was really bad. Afer I came home it got better (it was winter when I came back, like - a real winter, with freezing temperatures and stuff, so no pollens flying around. I'm usually allergy-free in winter).

So... if you're an allergic person, better take your meds with you just in case. I know it sucks to pack more, but better be safe than sorry. 

Muay Thai Rebel <- blog about my Muay Thai experience in Poland 
miccmilena <- Instagram

https://youtu.be/MZ7JyCF_8bw -> short summary video of my training trip to Thailand ^_^

Huskyal02

Huskyal02

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Hi MIcc!

The heat rashes look like allergic reaction, raised rashes. You are right, as soon as I got back to the US, all my rashes and hand and feet went back to normal. I could of been allergic to something in Thailand without knowing the root causes. I did bring benadryl with me and I took it every other night or so, but that didn't help with the rashes.

Perhaps I should bring my regular allergy medication with me and the rash cream next time, just to see that difference. Glad you had a good training in Thailand.

• Micc likes this

Huskyal02

Huskyal02

• Pip
  • 12 posts
This is my foot, after 10 days, and no, I wasn't injured.

rosyl

rosyl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Hi, in a supplementary heat-related question, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on whether high factor sunscreen is readily available and relatively cheap in Thailand? I'm going to be training at Diamond Muay Thai on Koh Phangan for three months, and I've got super pale Irish skin that never tans - I just burn, then my skin falls off, so I don't even bother trying to sunbathe. Somewhere really hot I would usually slather myself in factor 50 but that's a lot of bottles for a three month stay - will I be all right to just bring a couple and assume I'll be able to get more while I'm out there, or should I fill my suitcase?

• NewThai likes this

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Hi, in a supplementary heat-related question, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on whether high factor sunscreen is readily available and relatively cheap in Thailand? I'm going to be training at Diamond Muay Thai on Koh Phangan for three months, and I've got super pale Irish skin that never tans - I just burn, then my skin falls off, so I don't even bother trying to sunbathe. Somewhere really hot I would usually slather myself in factor 50 but that's a lot of bottles for a three month stay - will I be all right to just bring a couple and assume I'll be able to get more while I'm out there, or should I fill my suitcase?

The same skin problems over here for me!
You can find enough sunscreen at the pharmacies in Thailand and if you search good, you can even find factor 110.  :ohmy:  :smile: 
banana-boat-90-110-sport110-original-ima

• Micc and rosyl like this

rosyl

rosyl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

The same skin problems over here for me!
You can find enough sunscreen at the pharmacies in Thailand and if you search good, you can even find factor 110.  :ohmy:  :smile: 

110! Wow. Awesome, thanks for letting me know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users