Welcome to Muay Thai Roundtable
Welcome to the Muay Thai Roundtable, the only Muay Thai forum of its kind, with a verified Women Only section. If you are new do create an account by registering as a member, creating a username and password (the Facebook login no longer works). After registration you'll get a validation email with a link. Please verify your email through this link. We hand clear every user for the General Section so it may take 24 to 48 hours so thanks for your patience. If you are a female user, after you have become a validated member please send Sylvie an email at sylvie AT 8limbs.us so she can verify your gender for the Women Only section.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Top Female Muay Thai Fighters and Fights - Full Fight Video Thread

- - - - - fights video Muay Thai

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationPattaya, Thailand

Anyway, I think Joanna's muay/kickboxing background is what allowed to sink so smoothly into mma, whereas it would be harder for a thai or thai styled striker to go straight to mma. Joanna's footwork was already very active and movey (idk how to explain it) and she used her hands a lot too.
If you look at Joanna's trainers you can see why her clinch game is lacking and why she has more of kickboxing style. Though I've seen her in some fights which between a thai and kickboxing stance.

Few western fighters know truly how to clinch and female fighters even less so. Caley Reece is a big exception in that she trained clinch heavily for a long time,probably under the influence of her fighter husband despite not being in Thailand often.

I agree that from what little we've seen what sets Joanna's Muay Thai apart is that she is not just a strait-ahead fighter. Many female Muay Thai fighters, and male too, are used to their opponent standing right in front of them, and struggle when their opponent isn't just moving forward and back. It's kind of crazy that Randamie did not have quick success in MMA. People talk a lot about fear of the takedown. But I think it is much more about the dimension they are used to moving in. She's also really comfortable in space keeping her opponent at the end of punches. She does not hit air a lot, the punch that lands 3 inches short.

That being said, Joanna was undynamic against Duannapa. A lot of it is how your opponent makes you look. Even fighting someone bigger than you, and someone smaller than you can produce really different fights. You are never as bad as you look when you lose, or as good as you look when you win.

I also think there is a big difference between westerners who fight in a "Thai" style, and Thais that fight in a Thai style.

• threeoaks likes this

All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare. - Spinoza

IwanttogotoThailand

IwanttogotoThailand

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEngland

Few western fighters know truly how to clinch and female fighters even less so. Caley Reece is a big exception in that she trained clinch heavily for a long time,probably under the influence of her fighter husband despite not being in Thailand often.

I don't know whether I'd say few, I can't really think of a top English fighter that doesn't know how to clinch... though you did say western which means Dutch and England fall into the same category, when they can't even be compared so this is why it's difficult sometimes to just specify western. So it's hard when I live in England and watch mainly British fighters and pretty much most of them can clinch well, if you watch Dan McGowan even before he spent a year at Petchyindee his clinch game was good, and all the fighters from his gym were too. Same with Dean James who has a solid clinch game and now he has a gym, all his fighters have a good clinch... and going onto Dean's coach Tony Myers, clinching is a big focus of Tony's so all his fighters have great clinch. I mean this is only a select few gyms, but these gyms are all over the rankings. Based on the fighters on the UK rankings I'd say there's about 5 gyms on there that produce fighters with a truly weak clinch game, and there's about 30 gyms on the rankings. 

The thing is it's hard to compare Western to Western as there's just too much of inconsistency, even comparing America itself would be difficult.

I also think there is a big difference between westerners who fight in a "Thai" style, and Thais that fight in a Thai style.

The only difference is experience, and that's all there is to it in my opinion.  :smile:

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Adding this Caley Reece vs Tiffany van Soest Lion Fight to the thread. Caley's use of the clinch strategically to neutralize a dynamic, moving fighter. Loved it.

• RamónRivera and MayaF like this

Sylvie

Sylvie

Staff

• 830 posts

Ran into this action packed Denise Mellor (Castle) vs Funna Groundrat Queen's Birthday fight from 2008 - decision went to Funna (not shown in video)

ways to connect with me:

8limbs.us blog   Twitter @_ittu   Instagram sylviemuay   Google Plus  YouTube lots of videos   LinkedIn  and on Facebook 

Sylvie

Sylvie

Staff

• 830 posts

A very young Iman Barlow vs Nongne Sitkruadd, only a clip, of the S1 fight:

found this summation:

Aman Jitti gym vs Nongnee Sitkruu-at Aman from England started the fight very determined, coming forward and taking the fight to Nongnee. Nongnee kept a very tight defence though and showed good technique. Aman started to catch the kicks of Nongnee well and land with long knees. Aman kept pushing forward in round 2 punching well. Nongnee though was fighting a technical fight, moving well and scoring with stylish kicks. Every time Aman caught one of her kicks now, she would come in close and lock her arms around Aman’s neck and then drive in a long knee. Aman kept pushing forward for the rest of the fight but Nongnee kept up her stylish game plan and moved around the ring well, picking Aman off when she saw an opening. Nongnee Sitkruu-at winner on points.

ways to connect with me:

8limbs.us blog   Twitter @_ittu   Instagram sylviemuay   Google Plus  YouTube lots of videos   LinkedIn  and on Facebook 

Sylvie

Sylvie

Staff

• 830 posts

Only a clip, but featuring Daoprasuk who for many years was considered the best female fighter in Thailand. 

Daoprasuk Sakchaichot Vs Jankrajang pralasarkam 

found this summation:

The main event was an all Thai affair and had the added attraction of 120,000 baht up for grabs for the winner from a bet between the two camps. Daoprasuk started the fight the more aggressive of the two, coming forward, looking to take the fight into the clinch. Jantgrajang looks to keep the fight on the outside and score with stylish roundkicks. Jantgrajang continues scoring well in round 2.Towards the end of the round Daoprasuk gets her in the clinch and locks her arms around Jantgrajang’swaist, Daoprasuk unleashes a big barrage of knees as Jantgrajang struggles to get out of her grip. Jantranjang manages to comeback with a few knees of her own only for Daoprasuk to spin her off balance to the canvas. Daoprasuk switched tactics in round 3 letting Jantgrajang bring the fight to her. Jantrajang now forced to come forward couldn’t find the range to land with her kicks and Daoprasuk pun-ished her with fast counter kicks. Jantgrajang was forced to push forward again in the final round, but Daoprasuk was too sharp, picking her off with kicks and then landing with another big bar-rage in the clinch. Daoprasuk winner on points.

ways to connect with me:

Sylvie

Sylvie

Staff

• 830 posts

I've posted this elsewhere, but adding it here. This is rare fight footage. Very little video of Erika Kamimura is around. Japan's Erika has been thought of as the best low-weight female Muay Thai fighter in the world until she retired about a year or more ago. She has unusual power for her size. Here she fights Loma Sitajou who is probably a weight class under her at the time. Erika held the 105 lb WPMF title, Loma easily fought at 100 lbs.

I've fought and lost to Loma twice and she is very difficult to deal with in the clinch, the best clinch fighter I've faced near my weight, by far. In this fight it's basically her clinch vs. Erika's power combinations. Loma is currently on the Thai National team.

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

• threeoaks likes this

ways to connect with me:

WaffleNinja

WaffleNinja

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationVinland

I cant find any video, but both Loma and Lomanee fought at the IFMA world cup and won gold medals at 45kg and 48kg.

http://qr.livedoor.b...2015-08-24.html

• K. von Duuglas-Ittu and Sylvie like this

WaffleNinja

WaffleNinja

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationVinland

Scratch that, I did find a video!

Loma's gold metal match is at the 47 minute mark.

• K. von Duuglas-Ittu likes this

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

What a find that is! Can't wait watch it. Sylvie's faced Loma twice and she's been a real puzzle, very underrated as a fighter. Maybe the best 45 kg fighter in Thailand.

[edit: what dominance. Shows that you can can be a complete, explosive kickboxer, but if you don't understand clinch at all in Muay Thai you stand very little chance. Really interesting fight.]

WaffleNinja

WaffleNinja

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationVinland

Ya, the announcer's comment that its as if she is in their with Ronda Rousey is pretty accurate. She was throwing that girl around at will.

I skipped thru the whole video checking every few minutes to see if I could find the Lomanee fight but I didnt see it. Hopefully it shows up somewhere on the internet.

• K. von Duuglas-Ittu and Sylvie like this

Sylvie

Sylvie

Staff

• 830 posts

Loma's gold metal match is at the 47 minute mark.

That was awesome.

ways to connect with me:

WaffleNinja

WaffleNinja

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationVinland

Any plans to rematch Loma or Lomanee? The Lomanee fight was so long ago and you have improved so much, I think you would take her this time around.

Sylvie

Sylvie

Staff

• 830 posts

Any plans to rematch Loma or Lomanee? The Lomanee fight was so long ago and you have improved so much, I think you would take her this time around.

I would LOVE to fight either of them again, multiple times. I don't think I'll fight Lommanee again. I asked her in private message about fighting again and she seemed like she didn't really want to, and I've asked Yokkao about it, but they don't seem interested - she's not fought for them since my fight with her. The only way it would happen probably is if a large sidebet was raised, and even then probably not. I don't have the money so it would take outside interest, and she doesn't fight a lot, she would have to be convinced. I am a very different fighter than when I fought her. At the time I didn't even know how to clinch or guard. Not saying she wouldn't be difficult. She's one of the best fighters in the world at a weight class two above mine, but it would be a wonderful challenge.

Loma though is a real possibility. My head trainer knows how much I want to fight her, and is even asking Max Muay Thai if they would take the fight this month. Outside Max though, again it comes down to sidebets. I think she would fight me if there was substantial money involved. 

• K. von Duuglas-Ittu and WaffleNinja like this

ways to connect with me:

dtrick924

dtrick924

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Lionfight 25: Jorina Baars vs Martina Jindrova

• K. von Duuglas-Ittu, Sylvie, WaffleNinja and 1 other like this

Sylvie

Sylvie

Staff

• 830 posts

I've fought Thanonchanok (blue) twice, the last time it was really, really close, and I really want to fight her again. Each of these fighters are a few weight classes above me, but they are quality I'm aiming at. I've been trying to book a fight with Hongkaw (red) and almost had one, but it was rained out in Hua Hin. Lots of Thai posturing and attitude in this fight, which is its own kind of battle. While Thanonchanok is not my style of fighting, and I can't believe she hasn't yet learned how to clinch, she is someone I aspire to in that when you take photos of her fighting she is an absolute poster of technique and ease. I'm a Thanonchanok fan.

Thanonchanok held the WPMF 49 kg title for more than 2 years.

• NewThai likes this

ways to connect with me:

dtrick924

dtrick924

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Lionfight 14: Jorina Baars vs Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino

Lionfight 20: Jorina Baars vs Chantal Ughi

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

The Ughi fight is very difficult to watch. Not because of the beat down, but the uncomfortable stance and guard. I tried to rewatch that fight the other night.

There are some amazing things about that fight, one of them being that despite being completely outclassed in the ring Chantal actually has a moment when she could have finished Jorina, she just wasn't committed to her clinch. She very nearly had a knee to Jorina's head. I'm not sure why she didn't just try to clinch up Jorina, continually. She actually may have won that fight because Jorina didn't seem to know how to clinch, and clinch is Chantal's one dependable attack. Maybe it was that Santai tried to change her fight style in training camp (a guess)? It's a mystery.

Sylvie

Sylvie

Staff

• 830 posts

This was a big fight this year. Peungsiam who is on the rise, fought and beat the then 100 lb World Champion Little Tiger in a largely under reported fight in Phuket:

Little Tiger then went onto lose her belt to Saya Ito.

ways to connect with me:

Sylvie

Sylvie

Staff

• 830 posts

And here is an edit Kevin did isolating Loma's Gold Medal victory at the IFMAs this year, to make it easier to view. 

https://www.facebook...?type=2

• K. von Duuglas-Ittu and RamónRivera like this

ways to connect with me:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fights, video, Muay Thai

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users