Welcome to Muay Thai Roundtable
Welcome to the Muay Thai Roundtable, the only Muay Thai forum of its kind, with a verified Women Only section. If you are new do create an account by registering as a member, creating a username and password (the Facebook login no longer works). After registration you'll get a validation email with a link. Please verify your email through this link. We hand clear every user for the General Section so it may take 24 to 48 hours so thanks for your patience. If you are a female user, after you have become a validated member please send Sylvie an email at sylvie AT 8limbs.us so she can verify your gender for the Women Only section.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Thinking About Style - Things I'm Working On

- - - - - style muay thai technique

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

michelle

michelle

Committed Contributor

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Location27520
Okay cool. Because right now I'm having a self identified identity crisis when it comes to stance. I have more power in orthodox and better technique in southpaw. I am not completely comfortable in either. It's been over a year now and it still feels that way.

I know part of the reason is because of my shoulder, any time we run nothing but jabs or jabs and hooks off the lead arm I have to switch to southpaw because my shoulder can't handle it yet. But yeah. I tried googling but couldn't find anything but articles on the disadvantages of being southpaw.
  • 515 likes this

mnmcdonald

mnmcdonald

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNC
Since it's right near two years later, wondered if anyone has noticed a change in their style and how they approach opponents/partners? Has time made you stronger or more confident in a certain style or has it changed for you? Just curious.
  • K. von Duuglas-Ittu and 515 like this

bbf3

bbf3

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationAustralia

I have less than 10 fights so I still haven't found my style. When I started fighting about a year ago I just kicked a lot, but in my last few fights I have felt stronger in the clinch and found knees to be more effective. In my next handful of fights I would really like to develop my confidence in the ring so that I can display a stronger style as opposed to my current position of different styles for every fight..which I know is probably normal for an amateur but feels messy to me.

• K. von Duuglas-Ittu, dtrick924, 515 and 1 other like this

mnmcdonald

mnmcdonald

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNC
I'm still, if not even more so, a counter striker. Now I just need to learn how to effectively and appropriately utilize that natural instinct to wait and react to whatever is being thrown at me.
  • dtrick924 and 515 like this

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

K. von Duuglas-Ittu

Roundtable Nak Muay

• PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationPattaya, Thailand

Since it's right near two years later, wondered if anyone has noticed a change in their style and how they approach opponents/partners? Has time made you stronger or more confident in a certain style or has it changed for you? Just curious.

The two year mark is really interesting for Sylvie. About two years ago, if not a little more, Sylvie went into a very deep clinch game, Muay Khao style. This meant striking a lot less, fortifying herself against attacks when closing distance, and snuffing strikes, developing ways of entering clinch. But in the last few months she's started to really concentrate on relaxation which has opened up other modes of fighting for her, modes that are only starting to show themselves. This really came to a head a week ago when Karuhat, a legendary fighter who has cornered for her a few times, and who we film with, out of nowhere decided to turn Sylvie completely southpaw, because this would eliminate some fundamental technique flaws she's shown against some problematic opponents. This southpaw switch somehow really connected up with what she's been quietly working on, Nongki energy, more Karuhat like suddenness, and is creating a whole different series of style movements. I'm not sure what is going to come of this, but it is as if Sylvie's fortress style was a long and necessary phase she had to pass through before she could get to more relaxation, and a different part of her character. And only really the excellence of her opponents (certain elite fighters who can stay with Sylvie in clinch), and the increasing size of her opponents, which has pushed her to go beyond her very defined "style". It's pretty exciting times.

• dtrick924, 515, bbf3 and 1 other like this

All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare. - Spinoza

mnmcdonald

mnmcdonald

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNC

Nongki energy.. I tried googling that but didn't find anything?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: style, muay thai, technique

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users